This post should probably be called ” My Favorite Supplies” or ” My Favorite Tools”, but we’ve been singing the Sound of Music score around my house as of late and those titles just don’t conjure images of children dancing through mountain meadows, do they? And that is where I want your mind to be before you read this post, because crafting is fun, and when we can’t dance and sing in the Alps, well… playing with paper can make you feel almost as euphoric. At least it does for me.
I’ve been buying and using a ton of supplies since I opened up shop in January. I’ve run across a few products that just didn’t get the job done, but in general, I’ve found a ton of great crafting products that make the whole process run smoothly and make my finished projects shine. I thought I would share my favorites with you, and hopefully, if you have some favorites that I haven’t discovered yet, you’ll tell me all about them in the comments. Please know that I really like these products and no one has given me any monetary incentive whatsoever to write about them.
Let’s jump in, shall we?
When it comes to paper, I’m a bit of a paramour, I love almost all of it, but there are a few stand-outs that steal my heart everytime.
1. LCI Paper sells a very heavy (111 lbs!) woodgrained cardstock that is so dreamy, I swoon over it’s weight and texture with every touch.
I’ve only been fortunate enough to use the white, called Gmund Woodgrain Limba, but as I type this I’m making plans for that coffee colored cardstock, don’t be surprised if you see it popping up in my designs soon.
2. I love scrapbook papers and there are so many fresh paper designs on the market these days that selection can be overwhelming. I have a few favorite designers that I tend to stick with, simply because they always make great looking, high-quality papers.
One such company is My Mind’s Eye and they have some gorgeous lines of paper. If you click through to their site, I promise you’ll love the eye candy. Here are a few of my favorites at the moment.
3. 6×6 paper pads are genius for card making, if you’re a card maker you already know this. These paper pads allow you to have at least a dozen smaller scale designs that all coordinate with one another right at your fingertips. You eliminate the need to mull over your paper supply looking for just the right patterns and colors before sitting down to make a card. I love these two especially!
I’ve tried many an adhesive in my paper-crafting days and I’ve finally settled on two that seem to cover all my needs.
1. Tried and true Permanent Double-Sided Scotch tape, there’s not much to say except that it’s brilliant.
2. I took a long time to run across this next adhesive, but now that I have, I am never going back. Zig 2-way glue, can be used as a permanent bond if you stick while it’s blue. If you wait till it dries to clear then it you can use it like a post-it. One bonus, if you have a Silhouette Cameo, you can make your cutting mat sticky again by applying the glue generously and letting it dry. The glue comes in two widths of applicator which, if you have both, makes it handy for very detailed work and larger projects. It is a bit pricey but it really gets the job done without any warping or wetness. I love this stuff!
1. May Arts ribbon I’ve found to be hands-down the best! I’ve used a number of different designs of theirs and they all feel so well made and are really of the highest quality. A great place to buy May Arts ribbon is on Amazon, the prices are good and the selection is rather large, and a lot of it is eligible for Prime shipping. I’m currently loving the Faux Suede with ruffled trim in Ivory and all the Chevron Twill’s.
2. Twine is everywhere in the crafting world right now and it seems to me that Divine Twine is the best bang for your buck. I buy the large spools and split the spoils with my craft night ladies, a little bit like buying in bulk from Costco and sharing the costs with other households. Their colors are absolutely lovely and you can use the twine for gift wrapping as well.
I’ll leave you with that today. I’m sure I’ve gone overboard and we haven’t even scratched the surface of all the crafty stuff I love.
Have a great weekend and keep pressing on!
Oh, and on Monday I’m going to be giving away one of my crafty creations to a lucky reader, so please stay tuned for that. You may want to follow me on Facebook or Twitter to make sure you don’t miss out on the swag!